Monday, June 6, 2011

I put a spell on you...

Just got back from my first ever trip to New Orleans. I'm running a little behind on my posting, but in honor of visiting NOLA, I wanted to post this vintage Warren horror magazine cover, "Tales of Voodoo." It's circa early 70's. Being a proud rat owner, I love the little rat-like creatures biting at the vampire woman's feet.


It seemed appropriate to post this, since my visit included a stop at the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum. It was kitschy little hole-in-the-wall place and well worth the paltry admission fee. My favorite part-- the over-tanned, leather-skinned woman who asked the owner if the voodoo item she wanted to buy would only work for the person buying it. She wanted to give it to a friend, and she wanted to make sure it would still work. The owner assured her it would work just fine.

Um, yeah...

4 comments:

  1. Haven't been back since the flood. If my plans had worked out as I hoped, I would have been renting a shotgun building there for 6 months during the storm, but fortunately it didn't work out. Now, I'm still too sad to visit, but I LOVE that city deep. I hope you had a good time! Jim
    Linderman

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an interesting time-- especially visiting the plantation that was used in the film "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" with Bette Davis. We were a little ticked off, though, because we wanted to visit the antique pharmacy museum and the website said they were open til 5pm but they really closed at 2pm. It sounded neat, especially from a collecting perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a note that VOODOO TALES wasn't a Warren title.It was published by EERRIE Publications.
    Be sure to check out the great hardback book on those wild gore mags from the 1970's! THE WEIRD WORLD OF EERRIE PUBLICATIONS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I have the book but I'm not really an expert in this area. I only dabbled for a while.

      Delete