Sunday, August 9, 2009

Monkey See, Monkey Do




As I've said, vintage paperback collectors cannot resist a good green gal cover. It's like dangling a banana in a starving monkey's face. Which brings me to my next genre-- paperback collectors cannot ever ever ever ever resist a good ape cover, ESPECIALLY an ape cavorting with a beautiful woman. I'm not sure what it is-- could it be that some collector once somewhere decided to go bananas for ape covers and everyone else followed suit? Could it be as simple as the fact that ape covers are homages to "King Kong"? I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you that I could stare for hours at the caged primates at the zoo. The human qualities they possess fascinate me-- their movements, their self-aware expressions, the way they walk... Could it be that when we see an ape cavorting with a human it reminds us of the beast in all of us? Ah, I don't know. Maybe it's just kind of sexy.

Mistress-at-Large=Cover Art by Ed Smith
The Sin Veldt=Cover Art by Robert Bonfils
Captured=Cover Art by Gene Bilbrew (Eneg)

No comments:

Post a Comment